Monday, February 22, 2010

Ruvry Nails

Today I decided I needed to get my "glam" on to get ready for my upcoming trip to Vegas. So, after some microderm abrasion (I know, not very glamorous-but still very important) I decided to go to the nail salon with my new Bettie Page haircut and freshly pierced nose (don't worry Mom--it's a tiny diamond stud) I figured a "mani pedi" was in order. So I headed to Lovely Nail. I went inside and picked out my polish. I sat down with two girls who looked like they might be relatives of Jackie Chan and started getting pampered. Now, it's not very often that I get a manicure, let alone a manicure and a pedicure, but today I decided I would.
I looked around the bright pink salon painted in a lovely shade of Pepto Bismal and tried to take in all the sights and sounds around me. Of course at Lovely Nail there wasn't relaxing instrumental music or small rock water fountains, there was only the loud Vietnamese shrieks of hysterical women as one of the women saw the other woman's car getting a traffic ticket. I was startled to hear what sounded like a mother frantically searching for a lost child, but, as it turns out it was one of the nail techs trying to explain, and convince, the other nail tech that the car receiving the ticket was in fact NOT her car at all. After a few minutes of verbal brawling in a foreign tongue they simultaneously burst in to laughter as the actual owner of the car came out and discovered his ticket.
After the dust had settled I looked around and noticed the posters in the salon. I imagine if I had a salon I would have posters that made the customer feel...well...inspired. I don't think that was the goal behind the poster of the 5 hands with dreadfully long nails all collectively playing a flute. And I have to admit, I didn't exactly feel inspired by the Siamese cat wearing purple acrylics but I did start to think maybe the poster of the 2 inch long red and yellow silk tips might look good on a circus clown. I tried to just relax and enjoy myself but I felt distracted by the one women motioning to the other woman to look at something on my foot or feet. The other woman stretched all the way across the counter where she was working on my nails to get a glimpse and snicker at my horribly wonky toes or whatever they were looking at.
About this same time two women came in together with a stroller and a baby. They both had blond hair, they looked similar enough and the older woman was cooing over the younger woman's baby in a very loving way. I looked at them and said "That's nice, are you guys doing a mother daughter day at the salon?" The younger woman looked at the older woman and the older woman looked at me with what I am sure could be THE look from the expression "If looks could kill". Anyway, the older woman then said "I am NOT her mother. I am not even old enough to be her mother. I am only 38." Now, I imagine the other woman was in the her mid twenties, so naturally, this was very insulting to the older woman. I was embarrassed and very apologetic but my efforts were in vain. Mean while the one Vietnamese woman was hurriedly trying to explain what had just happened to the other Vietnamese woman when I heard the victim of my comment say to the younger woman "Come on DAUGHTER lets get our polish".
I thought to myself I better add this comment to the list of things NOT to say to someone--along with "When is your baby due?" (never say that unless you can actually see the baby emerging from her body. Also, never ask an expectant mother "Are you SURE it's not twins?" I tried to hurry up and dry as fast as possible so I could get the hell out of there but before leaving I asked if I could pay with a check and one of the Vietnamese women said "Sure. Make check to Ruvry Nails "(Lovely Nails).

1 comment:

  1. You just can't win. Like the 38 yr old doesn't expect to be asked if she is the mother to a woman 10-15 years younger than her? AS IF a 15 year-old never gets pregnant around here?? please.

    ReplyDelete