Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bettie Page Bangs

So, I have been in limbo for a few months now. I need a change but I don't want something to dramatic. I want something that seems authentic-not phony-or created. I need to get in touch with my inner beauty but I don't want to forget entirely about my outward appearance. So begins the quest for a "new look".
I have Ryan cut my hair straight across the bottom to try to keep it from getting straggly every couple months or so. It has been "growing out" from a short spikey "A line" for the last several years. I have been trying to grow my hair long again, since after I cut it while I was at Paul Mitchell the School. But now I'm bored. Bored of the long straight style I have had for 2 years. I have been putting pressure on Ryan to tell me what he likes when it comes to different hair styles. He says (like any good hubby would) "I like it right now. Long. Just how it is." Well, that's probably a safe answer for most husbands--but not mine. I tried to explain to him the thing you DON'T want to say to someone who has a bug up their but about change is "I like things just as they are". Duh.
So, lately I have trying out some new "looks". I have been dressing exclusively in black. I am back into my earrings and piercings and I am thinking about doing something a little "edgy" with my look. This weekend we went to the lesbian bar "The Paper Moon" it was a blast--anybody who knows me knows I HEART lesbians. But after going to the bar I decided to throw out the idea of going "shorter" it's kind of a popular lesbian look, in case you didn't know. Next we went bowling and I decided not to try the mullet (popular among some bowlers). Saturday we went to the RV show. I won't even get into the hair you see there, but, what I did see was my gorgeous sissie-in-law looking like my twin. She with HER long black hair and me having HER exact same hair cut. Ironically exacerbated by the fact we were dressed in tight jeans, black boots and grey jackets (looking fabulous if I might say so). Of course, if I had to pick a twin, it would be Tami. But, I do start to feel like a bit of a poser when we show up dressed a like. Now you might say it's because great minds think a like--I'll accept that, however, I felt it was time to strike out on my own. I'm sure it is in the genetic make up of a younger sibling to follow in the footsteps of the older sibling but I knew at that moment, it was time for a change, I had to let Tami keep the original hair-do (I think she had it first, lol) and try something different.
So, I decided I would cut my hair. I'm already moving towards a kind of "retro" thing with my wardrobe so why not go all the way and cut the iconic "Bettie Page Bangs". I called my friend, my best friend who I went to hair school with and told her I was going to a popular salon up here (one she happens to hate) and get my bangs cut. After she reprimanded me for being a bad friend--not asking her to do it, AND going to that lame salon--she said go ahead, if anyone can wear "Bettie Page Bangs" it's you. I think she's right. I mean shit--I have always loved the movie stars of the 40's and 50's--I did name my daughter Ava (after Ava Gardner) and I had to stop myself from doing this exact hair cut in the past because of a lack of confidence that I could pull it off. However after talking to Kelly I decided to go ahead and do it--and not just do it--but do it TONIGHT.
Well, turns out it's not as easy as it seems. After about a half an hour I emerged from the bathroom to my little daughters joyful shouts "Oh Mommy, you look so beautiful...just like Snow White". Uh oh. Back to the drawing board. I looked at a photo of the bangs on the computer and went back in to the bathroom to hack away for a few more minutes. I re emerged (only after said daughter was asleep) and sat down to look again at the picture on the computer. Perfect! I no longer resemble Snow White at all. I now look like the black haired beauty of the 50's-if she had received a bang trim from a 10 year old with a tremor. Just kidding. It looks AWESOME. It is so hot. I even styled it--complete with victory rolls, a big purple bow and bright red lipstick. I feel like a movie star. Yeah!

2 comments:

  1. Pictures, PICTURES, I wanna see!!!! I thought it was cute that everyone at the show & dinner thought we were twins.. If there was anyone I wanted to look like, it would be you.. Love Ya !

    ReplyDelete